Omega oils are a popular supplement for both people and pets. Most of us are aware of some of the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids, but the extent of the support they offer is much greater than what is typically known. Omega-3 fatty acids offer a variety of benefits to the body including:
- Improved skin & coat condition
- Reduced inflammation
- Support for joint health
- Maintenance of vision
- Enhanced cognitive function
- Aid for muscle recovery
- Boosted heart health
Omega-3 fats are a family of essential fatty acids; there are 3 main types that are necessary for health and must come from the diet, as they cannot be synthesized within the body. These three fatty acids are ALA, EPA and DHA. EPA and DHA are the active forms of omega-3.
- ALA (alpha-linolenic acid): found primarily in plant sources. This is a shorter chain omega 3 fatty acid that can be converted to longer chain EPA and DHA, but the process is limited.
- EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid): found in marine sources such as fish oil, krill oil and algae oil. This fatty acid is most important for reducing cellular inflammation.
- DHA (docosahexaenoic acid): found in marine sources such as fish oil, krill oil and algae oil. This fatty acid is most important for eye and brain function.
Because ALA is not converted very well to EPA and DHA, dogs and cats should be supplemented with a marine source of omega-3 fatty acids for the greatest impact. Oils with the highest concentration of omega-3 come from sources that are further down the food chain. Algae oil, krill oil and oil from small fish, such as herring or anchovy, have higher concentrations of omega-3 than larger fish, like salmon.
When choosing an omega-3 supplement, it is important to ensure you choose a product that is fresh and pure. Guaranteed quality oils and third-party lab testing are sure-fire indicators of a superior product.
Baie Run Pet Products Inc. creates canine and feline marine sourced omega-3 supplements that are human grade – 100% fit for human consumption – and each batch is tested for purity at a third-party lab – every test result is available for viewing online.
Learn more about Baie Run Pet Products Inc. here.
Visit your local Global Pet Foods to find the ideal omega-3 supplement for your pet.